Monday 20 September 2010

Beetroot chocolate brownies

Beetroot Part II

I am yet again in a glut of beetroot after a chum kindly bestowed a tray full of goodies from their allotment. So I thought I'd better try something different.
A few years ago I tried a National Trust recipe for a beetroot chocolate cake and I have made my own version.

Beetroot chocolate brownies

175g Dark chocolate
150g Unsalted butter
150g Caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
150g beetroot grated
175g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder

For the chocolate frosting:
50g unsalted butter at room temperature
25ml milk
150g icing sugar, sifted
20g cocoa, sifted

Preheat oven to 200 C. Line a 17.5 x 27.5 cm brownie tin with greasproof paper and lightly grease.

Melt the chocolate and the butter in a metal bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water. (It is crucial that no steam escapes and use a metal spoon or rubber spatula to stir). Once melted stir in the sugar and the eggs. Sieve the flour and baking powder together in a bowl and add the wet ingredients. Finally add your beetroot and mix everything well. Pour into the prepared tin and cook for 20-25 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.

Once cool mix all the frosting ingredients together and blend well with an electric whisk, I find it looks better not smoothed down too much on top of the brownies, keep it rough.

----
I should also mention that in my previous Beetroot entry I wrongly said that beetroot in white sauce is my Mother-in-law's way of serving it. Father-in-law has since pointed out that it was his mother's recipe and he used to have it as a boy, so it seems it's passing down the generations. I have also since been looking in some of my older recipe books and I can find a similar recipe from circa 1940 so there we are, a bit of history of beetroot and my in-laws for you!

Beet on FoodistaBeet

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful recipe! If you won't mind I'd love to guide foodista readers to your site.Just add your choice of Foodista widget at the end of this blog post and it's good to go.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete